Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Process For Registering Your Parenting Order With A Court In The State Of Ohio For Enforcement

If you have a custody or visitation order from another state and have resided in Ohio for at least six months, you should seek the assistance of a lawyer to assist you with the process for registering your parenting order with a court in the state of Ohio for enforcement.

By registering the out-of-state decree and/or judgment entry with an Ohio court, you then have the right to have an Ohio court and/or police officer, if necessary, enforce your decree just as they would if it were made by an Ohio court.  However, it does not mean that jurisdiction has automatically been transferred to Ohio or that an Ohio court can modify the order.  Ohio courts can only enforce the order.  The registration of an out-of-state order can be contested, but only on a very limited basis. 

To register the out-of-state decree for modification requires a different set of factors, including that Ohio has become the home state (the state in which a child lived with a parent or a person acting as a parent for at least six consecutive months immediately preceding the commencement of a child custody proceeding) for any minor children.  Contact Joseph Stafford at Stafford Law Co., L.P.A. to discuss whether your matter meets the criteria for the registration of an out-of-state decree for modification purposes.   

For more information, or to schedule an appointment contact Joseph Stafford at Stafford Law Company 216.241.1074.

No comments:

Post a Comment